Sunday, July 29, 2012

Poca Resfriada

It's Sunday night, and I have class tomorrow at 8:15 AM.  Yikes.  The nice thing about my schedule is, no classes on Fridays.  That makes for long weekends for travel.  However, the Monday Morning Class of Doom will be a brusque reminder that I'm here for school... Well, that's the official reason I'm here, anyway.

En realidad, everything I do here, I'm learning.  It's actually pretty exhausting, I've found.  The first few days in my host family's house, it was like a dream:  how long have I wished to be completely immersed in this beautiful language?  It didn't matter that I couldn't understand everything that was being said; I couldn't stop smiling for the beauty of it.  My dream has come true, and here I am, living in Chile!








I've been living in Valparaiso with the Valdes family for a week now, and the exhaustion of what I'm doing has settled in at last.  Orientation week was filled with long days full of info sessions and group explorations.  I've developed a cold, either from the change in climate, the plane ride, the adjustment of my body to a new continent, or, as my host family would argue, because I go to sleep with wet hair.

This cold has been miserable because it has slowed me down mentally.  My head feels so groggy and congested, but I'm still expected to keep up with the conversation around me - all in Spanish?  It's mentally exhausting even when I'm feeling 100%!  I've been trying to stay in, drink lots of tea, take medicine, so that I can get back in the swing of things ASAP.  I'll definitely need a clear head for class in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment