Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"are you nervous yet?"

Three more weeks til I go!  Yesterday, my good friend Molly asked me about a hundred questions about study abroad. (She's leaving in January for Ireland, and she's got the mindset going before I even do! It hasn't hit me just yet.)  One thing she asked me, as many do, was, "Are you nervous?"



This is an interesting question.  I am not yet nervous to enter a new country whose culture is completely foreign to me.  I am, however, nervous to leave this country, where everything is so familiar and comfortable.  I'm not looking forward to leaving my family, friends, and boyfriend.  I will surely be shocked by the alone-ness that I will feel when I embark on my journey.  There are many things that we take for granted in everyday life, and it will be nerve-wracking to give those things up.

But no, I'm not particularly nervous for the actual adventure.  Only what (and who) I'm leaving behind.  I know I'll have the time of my life and I'll probably never want to leave, but I will sorely miss those I love.

I'm not nervous to go there; I'm nervous to leave here.

No comments:

Post a Comment