Monday, September 10, 2012

Don't worry everyone - I'M ALIVE

Well, I suppose I should update my MILLIONS of followers on my current state of being, because they are either concerned about my latest state of poor welfare, unaware of my recent illness, or the thought hasn't even crossed their minds.

Great, well here we go.

On Friday night, I went to a bar with Rachael and our Chilean pal, Cesar.  We were hangin' out and I had drank 2 beers, which is weak in comparison to the rest of humanity but impressive for me because I hate beer and usually can't even choke it down.  I got up to use the lil' girls' room, and when I got back to the table I was so overcome by complete nausea, and the aroma of tortilla chock-full of sausage and chunks of onion that had just arrived didn't help.  So, instead of waiting for the sensation to pass, I bid my buddies farewell and took a colectivo taxi home.  My intuition must have known about the madness that was about to ensue, and I'm so glad I wasn't stuck at a bar downtown for this.

Less than an hour later, I was vomiting.  What the heck?! I had only had 2 beers!  (I later told Tony, THIS is why I don't drink beer.)  Well, let's skip past the yummy details and I'll summarize for you:  from 12:30 until around 6, maybe 7 AM, I threw up eight times total.  That's madness.

So around 7 in the morning on Saturday, I'm laying in bed, dehydrated as heck, and I was too weak to stagger toward the kitchen for water.  No one was awake, so I couldn't call for assistance.  So I laid in my bed in a delirious misery for another hour before I couldn't take it anymore.  I wobbled to the kitchen, filled up a glass of water, and upon my return to my room, I blacked out (but managed to land the glass on the nightstand without spilling it on my laptop) and hallucinated a ringing sound growing in my ears.  Turns out this illness is called Rota Virus (or something along those lines), and hey - I SURVIVED IT.

Well, that's as interesting as it gets.  My weekend was consumed by my viral exorcism and the subsequent rehabilitation of my poor little bod.  My host family was wonderful, and Rachael was a peach too.  They made sure I had everything I needed and provided me with various sick-people foods:  soggy apple slices, agua crackers, celery, and a stein of limonada salt-remedy water.  DELICIOUS.  Shout out to Rach for keeping me company but also letting me fall asleep while she was talking, and being a good pal in general.

Well everyone, I hope you all had a better weekend than I did.  Maybe my next post won't be depressing!  Chaooo

2 comments:

  1. and a stein of salty lemonada. this post cracked me up. thank you.

    ps. lets celebrate you being not sick any more, wanna go out for a beer? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Glad you are doing better.

    ReplyDelete