Monday, September 10, 2012

the grass ain't greener anywhere else

Okay, now that I'm over my near-death viral experience, I can return to my cheerful What's-Not-To-Be-Happy-About attitude.  Hear me out.

My new volunteer job (starting week two!) is awesome.  Essentially, it's my life dream.  Rachael and I are volunteering at a public school called Colegio Santo Domingo in Playa Ancha, which is actually about a forty minute bus ride from home, thirty minutes from the university, about a $0.75 ride to the "hood" as our culture professor calls it.  But it's not hood at all.  It's darling.

We work with three levels of students.  All three are in their teen years, but they're not angsty at all.  Some of them sit with their guitars on their laps in class, some of them come up and ask if my hair is real and proceed to pet it, some of them kiss us good-bye at the end of class (can you imagine what WC's education department would say about "Professional Distance" ???? GASP!)

Anyway, we're teaching them English.  The kids are peaches.  All of them.  Some of them are quite eager to learn and actually like English.  They're all rather friendly.  I have struck up a particular fondness for the oldest class called Cuarto Medio, which is chock-full of seventeen-year-olds of all different characters.  My favorites are Pablo, the suave Don-Juan of a ladies' man, and Felipe, the introverted, intelligent soft-spoken fellow who wants to study engineering.

Anyway, Rachael and I are planning on taking over ASAP with lesson plans and conducting class activities and whatnot.  Spoiler alert: we're going to be teaching THE HUNGER GAMES!  How awesome is that?  I'll keep you posted on that further on.  I'll also be taking pictures, because we want to present all our fun educational experiences at the Undergraduate Research presentation at WC in the spring. YES.


If that's not fun enough, here are some adorable pics of puppies.






Also, Mina cleaned the mold out of my shower (after I tried to pronounce its translation in Spanish - moho - imposible), so I can go ahead and shower myself again whenever I'm good and ready.

Have a great week!! Learn something new and love what's around you!! BESOS XX

No comments:

Post a Comment