Saturday, March 1, 2014

Samedi Gras



My roommates and I have talked about doing a detox for a few weeks now, but there was always some reason not to.  Truthfully, they were usually good reasons.  First, Katherine was on a special diet for her post-cancer therapy.  And then it was my birthday.  Priorities, people.
 
Honestly, it can be really hard to be on the same schedule as your roommates when you’re all busy college students.  We hardly have time to sit down together for dinner once a week.  Recently, though, Tony and I were discussing the cleanse anew and decided, what better time than before spring break?

I had heard about “The Detox Prescription” for the first time when I watched Dr. Oz (for the first and only time… Don’t judge.).  It sounded really interesting to me, because it detoxifies the body and packs all the essential nutrients into three short days.  This quick ‘diet’ consists only of smoothies, juices, and milks – it’s all liquid.

Tony and I decided to start this Sunday and finish on (ironically) Fat Tuesday.  For us, then, Saturday was our Mardi Gras – we snacked all day, went to a late lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant, and had a meal of only chocolate brownie ice cream.

We spent the evening washing, peeling, chopping, and de-seeding all of the ingredients for tomorrow’s first day of the cleanse.  Tonight, though, we’re finishing off our "Samedi Gras" right: down at the fraternity house.  Tomorrow, we’ll be ready to detoxify.

No comments:

Post a Comment