Wednesday, August 22, 2012

inspired to write

Yesterday, in my culture class, we discussed poetry. We also watched this video which is an extremely powerful poem.  I don't even think I can describe it.  Just watch it.

Anyway, that video inspired me to write a poem.  Ingrid Michaelson (my favorite singer) also influenced the feel of this poem in her song "Keep Breathing," and the particular line that swayed me is this: "I want to change the world.  Instead, I sleep."

Maybe click those two little links I provided for ya.  Listen to these two poems if you want to feel a little lost and helpless too.  Listen to them if you want to be slapped in the face with how blessed you are, and how obligated you should be to help.  Just listen.

[Untitled]

end
Does it always justify the means?
People are starving, infected, freezing
I know there are so many problems
So many issues to face, to fix
But here, I’m stuck in the
middle
I try not to worry myself with superficial things
There are bigger problems
But what do I do to help?
With all the turmoil in this beautiful, messed up world,
Where on earth do I even
begin

No comments:

Post a Comment